What is communication? At the basic level, effective communication is the exchange of thoughts, information, ideas, and messages between people or groups. But it’s not communication unless the transmission is understood by the receiver. Communication can occur verbally, non verbally, in writing, and through behavior as well as by listening and using feedback.
Effective and clear communication is a fundamental concept of an individual’s personal and professional life. A recent study has suggested that written and verbal communication is involved in 90% of all business transactions. One’s personal life, however, depends entirely on how effectively one communicates.
Whether you’re just networking, having a casual talk or closing the biggest deal of your corporate career, the art of communicating clearly and effectively should not be overlooked. One can go as far as to say, it is the fundamental differentiator between good and great results.
No matter who or what kind of audience you are addressing, the art of communication can be a daunting task. Here are five steps for clear and effective communication for even the most difficult conversations.
- Listening – Listening is to give your attention and to understand when someone is speaking. It is the key to clear communication. Don’t confuse listening with hearing, Hearing is a physical ability, while listening is a skill. Tip: Listen even if you disagree
- Speaking Clearly – Using the right words and the right tone is a crucial part of communication. For information to get through completely, it has to be communicated with the right diction and pronunciation and in a manner that the receiving party understands. Tip: Speak slowly.
- Building Rapport – Building rapport is the process of developing a connection with the one being communicated to. This can be a verbal and non-verbal connection. It could be the words that you use or the body language, building rapport can be the spark that goes beyond words. Tip: Smile more often.
- Empathy – Empathy is the art of putting yourself is another person’s shoes to understand the emotion and perspective of the other person. Empathy helps us communicate in a way that will make sense to others. Tip: Feel for the other person
- Feedback – Giving feedback will benefit both the giver and the receiver. It helps in completing the communication process and it influences a positive and productive outcome. Tip: Think about one thing that can make it better.
The Important 5 Reasons of Clear and Effective Communication :
- Positive Work Culture – At the heart of a great work culture is “Communication”. When the employees are clear about what is expected of them, it will boost productivity and job satisfaction, resulting in a positive work culture.
- Facilitates Growth of the Organization – Growth of an organization is fueled by effective communication. When employees have a clear idea of the organization’s visions and goals, then the growth and innovation of the company are inevitable.
- Builds Effective Team – The productivity of a team is based on how they act, react and behave with each other. Communicating openly, clearly and with empathy will help in building rapport with a team and boost their spirit towards productively.
- Establishes Transparency – Transparency generates trust among employees. Trust creates an environment where people are honest and accountable. In such a company, management trusts employees with bigger responsibility and opportunity. On the other hand, employees trust that the company has their best interests at heart. Overall creating an environment that fosters growth.
- Company – Client Relationship: A smooth and trustworthy relationship between the company and client can be built over clear communication. Clients value a brand when communication is open a clear. These valued clients will be able to speak positively about the company. This kind of marketing is important as it is based on personal experience.
At Westford University College, we emphasize effective communication and for the same we make our students go through soft skills training programs. If you would like to be a part of Westford University College, feel free to get in touch with our counselors or drop us an email here. Some of the our important courses are listed below for your reference
- Online or Part-time International MBA programs | Affordable European MBA
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management Dubai | Online or Part-time Shipping Diploma
- HR Courses | Online Human Resource Management Classes
- Sales Management Courses Online | Marketing Classes in Dubai
- European 1 year International MBA Program Online or Part-time
- Undergraduate Programs in Dubai | Bachelor’s Degree Courses
Post written by:
Ms. Sakeena Mohammad
Career Consultant, Westford University College
Disclaimer: The facts and opinions appearing in the article are personal views of the author and not the official statement of Westford University College