in Information Technology
Awarded By: Guglielmo Marconi University
Guglielmo Marconi University
Number of Modules
Diploma in Information Technology
The diploma serves as an introductory course that covers contemporary topics and ensures a strong foundation in the field of Information Technology. It allows students to acquire sound practical skills as well as theoretical knowledge that enables student to pursue a career in IT or further education in the said field. The program’s study material is incorporated with information about new and upgraded technological advancements, that help equip students with the knowledge they need to attain a competitive advantage.
Aim of the Program
The fact that information technology is one of the most dominating industries around the globe indicates that it needs specialised and knowledgeable professionals who can delivery as per company requirements. The diploma serves as a pathway that aims to assure employability and/or further learning within the IT industry.
About Guglielmo Marconi University, Italy
Guglielmo Marconi University is the first Italian Open University recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR). It currently has 16.000 students enrolled across 6 Schools: Business, Law, Political Sciences, Applied Sciences &Technologies, Arts, and Education Science.
GMU offers a wide range of lectures, workshops, and research ventures, exploring the use of technological advancements in education, providing interdisciplinary knowledge, skills and competences, with a particular focus on global perspectives, contemporary culture and Industry.
Students pursuing Diploma in Information Technology can expect to learn the following skills:
- Describe computer networks in terms of a five-layer model
- Understand standard protocols involved with TCP/IP communications
- Grasp knowledge about powerful network troubleshooting tools and techniques
- Learn network services like DNS and DHCP that help make computer networks run
- Learn foundation for the management of risk and the application of Information Security Management controls in any organisation.
- Gain an understanding of the increasingly complex Information Security issues facing any organisation.
- Acquire the ability to apply Security Management concepts in a practical manner.
- Understand the theoretical foundation of data analytics, data analytic processes and techniques.
- Hands-on experience of implementing data analytic processes and techniques using a programming language such as Python, R, or a tool such as Weka, KNIME, PowerBI, Excel etc.
- As a result students will develop skills such as communication literacy, critical thinking, analysis, reasoning and interpretation which are crucial for gaining employment and developing academic competence.
The program consists of 3 Modules and will be delivered onsite.
Module 1: Networking
The module focuses on the fundamentals of Networking. Students will be taught the core functionality of Networking, its protocols, security procedures and standards. Students will be exposed to various technological advancements linked to the field of Networking. Students will be encouraged to have hand on experience with both, hardware as well as software used in the field. The course will cover the study and application of Local Area Networking (LAN), Wide Area Networking (WAN) and other such technologies applied to IP data networks.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- LO1. Examine networking principles and their protocols.
- LO2. Explain networking devices and their operations.
- LO3. Design efficient networked systems independently.
- LO4. Implement and diagnose networked systems.
Module 2 : Information Security Management
With digitalisation of confidential information businesses and individuals, alike, are keen upon employing devices that assure data security. This is where Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) play a significant role – data protection. The course explores this subject area with the aim of introducing key theories of ISMS, their application, maintenance, and improvement. Students will also assess the role of international standards in ISMS.
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- LO1. Understand the basic principles of ISMS.
- LO2. Critically analyse implementation and maintenance ISMS.
- LO3. Appraise an ISMS and observe any weaknesses it may signify.
- LO4. Examine the benefits and disadvantages of implementing ISMS standards.
The module focuses on imparting information about terminologies of data analytics, address the different types of data analytics. It will focus on developing an understanding of data with predictive, perspective, and descriptive analytics. It also explores the topic of data exploration and visualisation n. Students will be encouraged to implement process of data analytics to programming languages such as Python and R, as well as on tools like Excel, KNIME, Weka and PowerBI.
- LO1 Understand the theoretical foundation of data analytics that determine decision making processes in management or business environments.
- LO2 Apply a range of descriptive analytic techniques to convert data into action able insight using a range of statistical techniques.
- LO3 Investigate a range of predictive analytic techniques to discover new knowledge for forecasting future events.
- LO4 Demonstrate prescriptive analytic methods for finding the best course of action for a situation.
Who is this program for?
This course is aimed at first-year college students, high school students, and professionals in all fields who are interested in acquiring IT skills. It is a self-contained treatment intended for people with little or no previous experience in IT. It is also appropriate for people who know another IT subjects but mainly interested in Networking, Information systems and data analytics.
Including students majoring in engineering, biology, physics, chemistry, economics, and many other fields, not just computer science.
Graduates will be uniquely positioned to fill computer science jobs in industries such as finance, healthcare, education, and government, as well as in the core software development industry. A student completing this course may progress further by:
- Entering employment
- Continuing existing employment
- Linking with the appropriate vendor accredited certificates
- Committing to Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Progressing to university
- Network Engineer
- Computer Service and Repair Technician
- Web Developer
- Data Analyst
- Operation Research Scientist
- IT Project Manager
- IT Support Technician
- Application Developer